Friday, May 20, 2011

ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY . . . AND EVERY PLACE ELSE


Zombies are everywhere these days. The media has been literally invaded by the shambling rotters. Along with the teen and twenty-something vampires, zombies have given a new, undead life to the horror genre.

Despite all the rigamarole, I have to admit zombies aren't at the top of my list of favorite monsters. I do recognize film classics such as the Halperin Bros' WHITE ZOMBIE, Lewton/Tourneur's I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, the B&W blockbuster NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, and Romero's "DEAD" series as being right up there with the best of any of the monster movies. And what can you say about the current comic and TV hit, THE WALKING DEAD?

I guess when it comes right down to it, I can only take just so much gut-chomping and tendon snapping . . . not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Below are covers from the first 4 issues of RIGOR MORTIS magazine. I ordered a copy of each just a couple of days ago. After I read them, I'll let you know if I've changed my mind. In the meantime, I'll be shuffling along to the next topic . . .





No comments: