Monday, June 13, 2011

SCISSORS OF DOOM!

WARNING! DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

We were always told in school not to run with scissors, right? That's because scissors can actually do more harm than good if improperly used. Especially the pair pictured above. And, I'll tell you why . . .

These fine, German Solingen steel scissors were found in my garage buried among the rest of the hanging pliers, screwdrivers, and crescent wrenches. What I didn't realize until it finally dawned on me was that these are the very same scissors that were used to cut up countless monster cards -- as well as anything else made of paper or cardboard -- that could be cannibalized and used in my homemade monster magazine called, appropriately enough, MONSTERS MAGAZINE! All anyone has to do is visit eBay and take a look at the prices that are being asked for the legendary Leaf Spook Stories cards and stickers. I crammed dozens, if not a hundred or so, of these into my zine over the years (to say nothing of the occasional original Aurora Monster Model box lid as you can see).

So, let this be a warning to all you would-be monster magazine makers out there, that scissors can be hazardous to your hobby! Don't let them take control and ruin your collection, like they did to me. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

[NOTE: The monster zine page shown in the picture at the top of this post is from MONSTERS MAGAZINE No.1, my very first homemade monster mag from 1963!]

2 comments:

tom said...

You really need to post the entire issue of Monster Magazines #1

jmcozzoli said...

You're like some evil Dr. Magazein, cutting up all those beautiful things for their "body parts." Stay away!!!